January 25, 2011
Everyone is aware of the damaging effects of the elements. Typically Northwesterners spend much of the summer outside – hiking, biking, jogging, and camping – but protect themselves from the elements with sunscreen and activity-appropriate clothing.
photo © 2010 Vincent | more info (via: Wylio)In winter, the near-constant cloud cover lulls us into thinking we don’t need protection, but that is far from reality. Suns damaging rays can break through the clouds and are magnified by the snow in the surrounding hills and on Mt. Hood. It is important to protect yourself in all types of weather.
Just like in the summer, the sun can do quite a bit of damage when it’s snowing outside, especially combined with cold temperatures or a chilly wind.
So whether you’re going up to the mountain for some snow boarding or skiing or whether you stay down here in the valley (and secretly hope for some winter weather once in while), here are some beauty tips to help protect your body in the winter, and keep yourself looking good.
Lip balms seem to be so ubiquitous in the winter, it almost seems like it’s a fashion accessory. But this is one of the most important beauty secrets for the winter to keep your lips nice and supple.
Some of the best winter lip balms include:
- Burt’s Bees Lifeguard’s Choice
- Mama Mio Omega Wonder-Full Rescue Balm
- Nivea A Kiss of Moisture Hydrating Lip Care
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment
- Crabtree & Evelyn Cocoa Butter & Cardamom Lip Balm
Your winter skin must also be protected in the cold weather as well. Keeping yourself protected throughout the winter will keep your skin looking young and healthy. Regularly using facial creams and hand creams with a good SPF will go a long way to keep your skin soft and smooth.
Some of the best winter facial creams include:
- L’Oreal Revitalift Double Lifting
- Garnier Nutritionist
- Dove Intensive Cream
- Nivea Soft
Some of the best winter hand creams include:
- Jergens Ultra Healing
- Dove Beauty Hand Cream
- Aveeno Hand Cream
- Neutrogena Concentrate Norwegian Formula
- Bag Balm (This can be found in many pharmacies, and is a traditional balm for cow udders made in Vermont. It is a wonderful hand cream!)
No foot faults
There are two ways to protect your feet in the winter. One is to wear proper footwear, and the other is to keep your feet hydrated with a good cream. There are as many different styles of boots as there are body shapes. Fashionable snow boots are a hot trend right now, and there are as wide of a range of prices as there are styles.
- Possibly the hottest boots right now are from Uggs. These fit the bill for style, comfort, and fashion. They feature a leather exterior, a sheepskin interior, and a solid sole. These are on the higher end of the price range, but they’re built to last.
- Having a good pair of stylish rubber boots is important as well. In Portland, winter means puddles and mud, and these boots will help keep the mess off of your good shoes.
- A good flat-soled, high-profile boot is also in fashion. These can be paired with either jeans (under or over the boot) or a skirt for a great look. The flat sole is perfect for keeping your balance on a slippery sidewalk. Suede is the hot look for this style.
- Biker boots are also trending high this year. Many companies are introducing this sturdy black boot with small flourishes and buckles, knocking the edge off and giving some great flair.
Some of the best winter foot creams include:
- Udderly Smooth Foot Cream
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Foot Cream
- Gold Bond Foot Cream
- Alpha Hydrox Foot & Problem Area Cream
- Dr. Scholl’s For Her Cooling Peppermint Foot Lotion
Since drab colors and nudes are in this season, a perfect way to dress up your outerwear is with a pop of color with your accessories. The key to assembling the perfect outfit is to remember to only go bold with one article of clothing.
Scarves are a great accessory to wear with a coat to keep you warm and protect your hair on a windy or snowy day. Make sure that you wear the right length of scarf for your body size. Short women should not wear long scarves, as it can make your body look even shorter. Gloves and mittens are a good way to keep warm as well, but it’s usually better to keep these accessories in neutral colors when trying to be fashionable.
When looking to stay beautiful in the winter weather, remember these tips to stay protected as well. And when you want to feel truly nurtured this winter, treat yourself to a conditioning treatment, facial, or mani/pedi at a Phagans salon. While your short-term beauty can rely on the latest fashion, a lifetime of beauty depends upon taking good care of your body in all the elements.